The Awake in the Wild Teacher Training is a year long apprenticeship training in guiding contemplative nature practice, inspired by wisdom teachings from the Buddhist tradition, by Mark Coleman’s book Awake in the Wild (AITW) and by the wilderness retreats led by Mark for more than a two decades across the Americas and beyond.
Nature meditation brings mindful awareness practices into the outdoors as a support for presence, connection, and insight. Mark is excited to share this cherished work with a group of dedicated nature meditation practitioners that will give them tools to begin to share similar practices with others. He has already conducted three year long AITW teacher training programs and there are now more than 30 teachers worldwide sharing these invaluable practices.
The Awake in the Wild Teacher Training is for people who care deeply about the earth, who have a strong meditation practice and who take their contemplative presence into the outdoors. Equally important, it is for those who feel called to take people deep into nature with a spirit of reverence and contemplation.
This program will have four week long residential training retreats with Mark in California, the western states and Mexico. Locations will be based in different ecological zones: forest, desert, mountains and elsewhere. There will also be monthly online tutorials, personal nature-based work and a teaching practicum.
In the Awake in the Wild Teacher Training Mark will be sharing his heart and soul’s knowledge of nature-based meditation as a way to inspire your own creativity and nature-based work. Upon successful completion of the course, you may teach nature-based meditation practices in classes, courses, daylong and weekend retreat formats and we encourage you to be creatively inspired by Mark’s practices and content.
This in-depth apprenticeship training in nature-based mindful contemplative practice trains you to:
- Skillfully teach guided mindfulness in nature practices
- Prepare for the unique challenges in facilitating meditation programs in nature
- Create and facilitate immersive nature meditation programs
- Teach Awake in the Wild classes, daylong and weekend programs
This one year training includes:
- Four weeklong, immersive study retreats in nature
- Monthly online tutorials
- A rich collegial learning community of peers
- Studying mindfulness-based nature meditation
- Practice teaching nature-based meditations
- Mentoring and supervision with Mark and faculty
This training will take place over one year including 4 Awake in the Wild immersion retreats. It will include:
- Multiple immersions in the Awake in the Wild experience
- Orientation to teaching foundational and in-depth nature-based meditation practices
- Applications of contemplative practice in the wild to daily life
- Nuts and bolts of organizing and holding a nature meditation course
- Exploring the key elements of a AITW course which includes cultivating the areas of silence, meditation, community, wilderness awareness, inquiry, mindfulness and love
- Learning how to teach nature-based practices in multiple formats
- Understanding issues of diversity and cultural sensitivity to different populations
- Integrate issues relating to the climate / ecological crisis in the context from a mindfulness and compassionate perspective
- Minimum three years regular meditation practice (mindfulness based)
- One silent mindfulness / meditation retreats of 5-7 days or longer
- Extensive experience being in nature
- This is not a Wilderness Guide Training (all AITW retreats are accompanied by a certified wilderness guide)
- This is not a mindfulness teacher training. (Applicants are expected to have a pre-existing thorough understanding of mindfulness meditation and preferably have had some experience in teaching/facilitation)
- To teach AITW intensive silent retreats longer than a weekend, this requires individual approval from Mark. Apprenticeship for this is available on an individual basis with Mark post-graduation
- Summer 2021 – Summer 2022
- Dates to be Announced